Love requires honesty, understanding, and good communication. As Anne Candido points out, brand love does as well. On this week’s episode of the Happy Marketer Connection podcast, Anne, the co-founder of Forthright People, shares how to build brand love and why it is so vital for businesses to persevere and grow during challenging times.
Happy Marketer Connection Episode 10
Anne Candido, Co-Founder, Forthright People
Theme “Brand Love”
Anne is an award-winning marketer. But she didn’t get there overnight. She saw a path she wanted to pursue, did her homework, and then found someone willing to take a chance on her. In this week’s episode she pays it forward, sharing the many lessons she has learned in how to build brands that matter with junior marketers.
The episode’s focus may be “Brand Love” but it’s a love of the marketing craft and of creating meaningful impact that listeners will walk away with.
Hear how to create connections with your consumers, turn your fans into brand evangelists, the three questions you need to be able to answer to have a brand, and what junior marketers and senior marketers can learn from each other.
- [0:15] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [0:41] Anne Candido, Co-Founder of Forthright People
- Sue Frech interviewing Anne Candido on BRAND LOVE
- [1:25] Brand Love
- [1:55] YETI, Patagonia, lululemon
- [2:18] How did Anne go from studying Mechanical Engineering to working at P&G (Procter & Gamble)?
- [2:44] University of Dayton
- [2:51] Product Development
- [4:11] Influencer Marketing
- [5:29] What is Brand Love?
- [5:54] Nike
- [7:21] COVID-19
- [7:23] Nike Training Camps
- [7:38] How do you build Brand Love as a startup brand?
- [8:05] The Super-Highway of Relevancy by Anne Candido
- [9:16] What are the 3 questions every brand must answer?
- [10:39] Black Lives Matter
- [10:49] How do brands shift their messaging during times of crisis?
- [12:14] Brand Evangelists, Brand Ambassadors
- [14:01] Halo Effect
- [14:35] How do young marketers navigate the marketing landscape?
- [19:14] How should junior marketers make decisions without expertise?
- [21:12] P&L (Profit & Loss Statement)
- [22:22] Digital Marketing
- [22:29] TikTok
- [25:13] How did Anne start Forthright People?
- [27:08] Small and Medium-sized Businesses (SMBs)
- [27:42] Branding
- [28:05] Agency-Side
- [28:42] Retainer
- [29:52] What positive story does Anne have to end with?
- [30:18] London 2012 Summer Olympics, #ThankYouMom
- [31:47] What final thoughts does Anne have to share?
- [32:42] 80-20 Rule
- [33:43] Side Hustle
- [35:36] Mentor
- [35:52] Connect with Anne at Forthright-People.com and on LinkedIn
- [36:05] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [36:23] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
Get More Happy Marketer Connection
Check out previous episodes and subscribe on Apple Podcasts:
Episode 1: Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection with Guest Marlea Clark, CMO of Stella Rising on “Evolution”
Episode 2: Dawn Dobras, CEO of Credo Beauty on “Champion”
Episode 3: Gina Bonafede, Director of Marketing at DAS Companies on “Connection Marketing”
Episode 4: Tom Deierlein, Co-Founder and CEO, Thundercat Technology on “Grit”
Episode 5: Michele Muhammad, CMO of DSE Healthcare on “Transformational Marketing”
Episode 6: Chris Pyne, Founder and President, Junction 37 on “Values”
Episode 7: David Rich, Founder, Palabra on “Storytelling”
Episode 8: Alex Colkitt, Content and Community Strategist, Sir Kensington’s on “Engagement”
Episode 9: Alan Sutton, VP Global Sales and Operations, Jay At Play on “Heritage”
About the Happy Marketer Connection Podcast
Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection. Marketers know it’s the connections we make – between ideas, people, and brands – that make all the difference. Each week, Happy Marketer Connection invites you to connect with our Co-Founder and CEO Sue Frech, Martech pioneer, and unfailing optimist, as she and her fellow passionate marketers explore engaging and inventive marketing strategies and toast brands making impactful consumer connections.