Bravery is turning toward conflict and working to change the conversation. That’s what CEO Lindsay Stein and nonprofit Today, I’m Brave are doing with their newly launched “Empathy Masks” initiative. Designed with an “I care about you” message, and benefitting children and the homeless, these empathy masks have the power to change the conversation and sentiment around masks. Lindsay shared more about this initiative, her new role, and this week’s theme of “Bravery” on this episode of Happy Marketer Connection.
On this week’s episode, host Sue Frech flips the tables on Lindsay, who interviewed Sue in the past in her role as Editor in Chief of CampaignUS, to learn more about Lindsay’s pivot from journalism to a nonprofit. Hear how to market a nonprofit, determine your core mission, develop strategic partnerships, and what it means to be brave.
- [0:17] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [0:48] Lindsay Stein, Chief Executive Officer of the nonprofit Today, I’m Brave
- Sue Frech interviewing Lindsay Stein on BRAVERY
- [0:56] David Angelo, David&Goliath, Agency
- [1:16] Journalist, Campaign
- [2:15] Why did Lindsay move from publishing to a nonprofit startup?
- [2:44] Gender Equality, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), Ageism
- [3:05] Networking
- [4:04] What is Today, I’m Brave?
- [4:32] 63 Brave: Sierra Leone, Ebola
- [4:52] Shine on Sierra Leone, Tiffany Persons, Muddy Lotus
- [5:11] Brave Library, 63 Brave
- [5:36] Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA)
- [5:47] Brave Workshops
- [6:01] Covenant House, 100Roofs, Hurricane Maria, Hurricane Irma, HEART 9/11
- [6:33] Mission Statement
- [6:50] What are the 3 pillars of Today, I’m Brave?
- [7:04] Zoom, Microsoft Teams
- [7:25] Education, Health & Wellness
- [7:56] The Brave Grant
- [8:32] Brave Summer Camp
- [8:57] Anti-Bullying
- [9:48] Donate at org
- [10:17] Why is Lindsay changing their mission statement?
- [11:20] What are Brave Workshops?
- [11:48] LAHSA (Los Angeles High School of the Arts)
- [12:55] How did Today, I’m Brave develop the Brave Workshops?
- [13:18] Pandemic, COVID-19
- [13:28] What is the Empathy Masks program?
- [14:36] Lotus House, Hollywood Food Coalition, Ruth Ellis Center, Nikia Phoenix
- [15:03] Lotus Ladies, Atlanta Children’s Shelter
- [16:22] What is Brave 24/7?
- [17:44] How is Lindsay leveraging her network at Today, I’m Brave?
- [18:01] CMO (Chief Marketing Officer)
- [18:04] Brave Stories
- [18:29] Today, I’m Brave at the Golden Globes
- [19:06] Marketers, Mentorship
- [19:33] What is the difference between for-profits and nonprofits?
- [19:50] Ollie McAteer (Oliver)
- [21:31] What is the Brave Grant?
- [22:13] Brands
- [23:10] University of Delaware (UDel), Diamond Challenge
- [24:14] Community Powered Marketing delivers a new world of sales growth. Learn more at Vesta-Go.com
- [24:32] What positive story does Lindsay have to share?
- [24:55] Tilly Lockey, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Open Bionics
- [25:47] Brave Ambassador program
- [26:52] Instagram DMs (Direct Messages)
- [27:19] Empowerment
- [27:35] How can people help or get involved with Today, I’m Brave?
- [28:17] Lindsay’s Twitter
- [28:40] Infographics
- [28:55] What are Lindsay’s final thoughts?
- [29:35] How does she view success at Today, I’m Brave?
- [30:51] Connect with Lindsay at [email protected]Brave.org and on Instagram at @Lindsay_Stein
- [31:01] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [31:09] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
Lindsay Stein, CEO, Today, I’m Brave
Lindsay is the CEO of Today I’m Brave, a global nonprofit organization with a mission to unlock bravery in the youth of today, so they can take on the biggest challenges of tomorrow. Lindsay’s years of experience as a reporter, connector and storyteller make her a strong leader and passionate advocate for social causes.
Host: Sue Frech, Founder and CEO, Vesta
Sue has spent her career redefining digital marketing in brand and retail marketing, Martech, and advertising, at brands such as Kraft and Glaxo-SmithKline. She is committed to creating fellow Happy Marketers through Vesta’s all-in-one online community building software, transforming the relationships between brands and consumers with Community Powered Marketing.