While this week’s guest sits outside the marketing world, he is most definitely a creative. And his creativity has been the key “ingredient” to his success (pun intended). Chris Teigland is Executive Chef and Co-Owner of Community and Birdhouse, two innovative restaurants near Boulder, CO. And while food is his medium, he has many lessons for those who work in the digital realm, from how to handle reviews to staying ahead of the trends. This week, he joins one of his biggest fans, podcast host Sue Frech, to talk about “Creativity” on the Happy Marketer Connection.
Not only is Chris innovative, but he is not afraid to take risks, dedicating the menu at his newest restaurant to ramen, rum, and tacos. Clearly there is creative genius at work!
Hear how to come up with creative products and services, find creative inspiration, the challenges and marketing opportunities with running a restaurant, what to do with negative consumer feedback, and the parallels between cooking and playing in a rock band. You’ll be sure to come away hungry but nourished with ideas.
- [0:15] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [1:05] Chris Teigland, Executive Chef and Co-Owner of Community and Birdhouse
- Sue Frech interviewing Chris Teigland on CREATIVITY
- [1:52] Lafayette, CO, Erie, CO
- [2:11] The Wizard of Oz
- [2:24] What role did food play in Chris’s life growing up?
- [3:20] When did he know he wanted to be in the restaurant industry?
- [3:34] Cartoon Network, Alton Brown, Food Network
- [5:24] How did heavy metal guitar work as a creative outlet for Chris?
- [5:47] SpaghettiOs
- [6:07] Creativity
- [6:15] Why is fronting a band similar to leading a kitchen?
- [7:06] Why did Chris get a degree in Theology?
- [8:24] Tech (Technology)
- [8:31] Where did Chris’s need to take care of people come from?
- [10:21] Marketers
- [10:32] How do you open a restaurant during the pandemic?
- [10:54] Scott Skiba
- [11:50] Was Chris surprised on the success of Birdhouse?
- [12:53] Where did the idea of ramen, tacos, and rum come from?
- [14:40] What are the trends in the restaurant industry?
- [16:20] Where does Chris’s creative inspiration come from?
- [18:32] James Beard Award (JBF), Michelin Star
- [18:38] Is there a mentor Chris had in the cooking world?
- [19:30] Blackbelly, Hosea Rosenberg, Top Chef
- [21:27] Was it a bigger risk leaving banking or opening a restaurant during the pandemic?
- [21:58] Community Powered Marketing delivers a new world of sales growth. Learn more at Vesta-Go.com
- [22:21] What is a Tweezer Chef?
- [23:51] Has there ever been a dish that surprised Chris with how popular it was?
- [24:11] Radicchio
- [25:04] Should you pay attention to Yelp or Tripadvisor reviews?
- [27:12] What funny story does Chris have to share?
- [27:55] Fast Food
- [28:10] Community #PayItForward Program
- [28:37] Sister Carmen Food Bank
- [29:55] What are Chris’s final thoughts?
- [30:28] Connect with Chris at Community and Birdhouse
- [30:35] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [30:42] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
Chris is the Executive Chef and Co-Owner of Community and Birdhouse, two innovative restaurants near Boulder, CO. Both establishments are known for their unique comfort food menu and creative culinary approach, earning their spots as local favorites in the greater Boulder area.
Host: Sue Frech, Founder and CEO, Vesta
Sue has spent her career redefining digital marketing in brand and retail marketing, Martech, and advertising, at brands such as Kraft and Glaxo-SmithKline. She is committed to creating fellow Happy Marketers through Vesta’s all-in-one online community building software, transforming the relationships between brands and consumers with Community Powered Marketing.