While this week’s guest sits outside the marketing world, he is most definitely a creative. And his creativity has been the key “ingredient” to his success (pun intended). Chris Teigland is Executive Chef and Co-Owner of Community and Birdhouse, two innovative restaurants near Boulder, CO. And while food is his medium, he has many lessons for those who work in the digital realm, from how to handle reviews to staying ahead of the trends. This week, he joins one of his biggest fans, podcast host Sue Frech, to talk about “Creativity” on the Happy Marketer Connection.
Happy Marketer Connection Episode 18
Chris Teigland, Executive Chef and Co-owner of Community and Birdhouse
Not only is Chris innovative, but he is not afraid to take risks, dedicating the menu at his newest restaurant to ramen, rum, and tacos. Clearly there is creative genius at work!
Hear how to come up with creative products and services, find creative inspiration, the challenges and marketing opportunities with running a restaurant, what to do with negative consumer feedback, and the parallels between cooking and playing in a rock band. You’ll be sure to come away hungry but nourished with ideas.
- [0:15] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [1:05] Chris Teigland, Executive Chef and Co-Owner of Community and Birdhouse
- Sue Frech interviewing Chris Teigland on CREATIVITY
- [1:52] Lafayette, CO, Erie, CO
- [2:11] The Wizard of Oz
- [2:24] What role did food play in Chris’s life growing up?
- [3:20] When did he know he wanted to be in the restaurant industry?
- [3:34] Cartoon Network, Alton Brown, Food Network
- [5:24] How did heavy metal guitar work as a creative outlet for Chris?
- [5:47] SpaghettiOs
- [6:07] Creativity
- [6:15] Why is fronting a band similar to leading a kitchen?
- [7:06] Why did Chris get a degree in Theology?
- [8:24] Tech (Technology)
- [8:31] Where did Chris’s need to take care of people come from?
- [10:21] Marketers
- [10:32] How do you open a restaurant during the pandemic?
- [10:54] Scott Skiba
- [11:50] Was Chris surprised on the success of Birdhouse?
- [12:53] Where did the idea of ramen, tacos, and rum come from?
- [14:40] What are the trends in the restaurant industry?
- [16:20] Where does Chris’s creative inspiration come from?
- [18:32] James Beard Award (JBF), Michelin Star
- [18:38] Is there a mentor Chris had in the cooking world?
- [19:30] Blackbelly, Hosea Rosenberg, Top Chef
- [21:27] Was it a bigger risk leaving banking or opening a restaurant during the pandemic?
- [21:58] Community Powered Marketing delivers a new world of sales growth. Learn more at Vesta-Go.com
- [22:21] What is a Tweezer Chef?
- [23:51] Has there ever been a dish that surprised Chris with how popular it was?
- [24:11] Radicchio
- [25:04] Should you pay attention to Yelp or Tripadvisor reviews?
- [27:12] What funny story does Chris have to share?
- [27:55] Fast Food
- [28:10] Community #PayItForward Program
- [28:37] Sister Carmen Food Bank
- [29:55] What are Chris’s final thoughts?
- [30:28] Connect with Chris at Community and Birdhouse
- [30:35] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [30:42] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
Get More Happy Marketer Connection
Check out previous episodes and subscribe on Apple Podcasts:
Episode 1: Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection with Guest Marlea Clark, CMO of Stella Rising on “Evolution”
Episode 2: Dawn Dobras, CEO of Credo Beauty on “Champion”
Episode 3: Gina Bonafede, Director of Marketing at DAS Companies on “Connection Marketing”
Episode 4: Tom Deierlein, Co-Founder and CEO, Thundercat Technology on “Grit”
Episode 5: Michele Muhammad, CMO of DSE Healthcare on “Transformational Marketing”
Episode 6: Chris Pyne, Founder and President, Junction 37 on “Values”
Episode 7: David Rich, Founder, Palabra on “Storytelling”
Episode 8: Alex Colkitt, Content and Community Strategist, Sir Kensington’s on “Engagement”
Episode 9: Alan Sutton, VP Global Sales and Operations, Jay At Play on “Heritage”
Episode 10: Anne Candido, Co-Founder, Forthright People on “Brand Love”
Episode 11: Cathy Murphy, Co-Founder and CEO, Venus Media Group on “Balance”
Episode 12: Rachel Braun Scherl, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, SPARK Solutions for Growth on “Pioneer”
Episode 13: Shonda Brown, Senior Associate Brand Manager, Church and Dwight on “Pivoting”
Episode 14: Max Branstetter, Founder, MaxPodcasting on “Growth”
Episode 15: Lindsay Stein, CEO of Today, I’m Brave on “Bravery”
Episode 16: Lewis Schiff, Chairman of Birthing of Giants on “Entrepreneurism”
Episode 17: Tim Hayden, CEO of Brain+Trust on “Creativity”
About the Happy Marketer Connection Podcast
Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection. Marketers know it’s the connections we make – between ideas, people, and brands – that make all the difference. Each week, Happy Marketer Connection invites you to connect with our Co-Founder and CEO Sue Frech, Martech pioneer, and unfailing optimist, as she and her fellow passionate marketers explore engaging and inventive marketing strategies and toast brands making impactful consumer connections.