This is a time that has left many of us feeling disconnected. So this week’s episode is a timely reminder of the importance of relationships. Dustin Finkel, Founder and CEO of Ancient inGRAINed Snack Co, makers of Ka-Pop!, has seen his belief in the power of relationships pay off throughout his career. In fact, a chance meeting and conversation on a plane ended with a $50,000 check to start his own company. Dustin shares his journey and insights into the importance of investing in your network on this week’s “Relationship” themed episode of Happy Marketer Connection.
Happy Marketer Connection Episode 20
Dustin Finkel, Founder and CEO of Ancient inGRAINed Snack Co
Dustin, a successful businessperson and passionate entrepreneur, is an advocate of continually connecting. He shares his approach to relationship-building and explains why it’s critical to be reaching out now.
Hear how to grow your network, create beneficial relationships across industries, how he created Ka-Pop!, his experiences on Shark Tank and QVC, and why it is essential to have a solid financial understanding of your company.
- [0:13] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [1:02] Dustin Finkel, Founder and CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Ancient inGRAINed Snack Co
- Sue Frech interviewing Dustin Finkel on RELATIONSHIPS
- [2:08] Icebreaker: What motivates Dustin?
- [2:25] CrossFit
- [2:44] The 80-20 Principle
- [3:40] How fun is it working with Dustin?
- [3:52] Entrepreneurship
- [4:46] What is Ka-Pop! and how did it get started?
- [5:01] Health and Wellness
- [5:31] Nutrition
- [5:37] Ancient Grains
- [6:09] Popped Chips, Puffs
- [6:21] Food Demos
- [6:56] Finance
- [6:59] Did Dustin always want to start his own company?
- [7:14] Investment Banking (I-Banking), Fortune 100, Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG)
- [7:35] Private Equity, COO (Chief Operating Officer), Strategy
- [8:21] How was Dustin’s experience on Shark Tank?
- [8:47] Food Conference
- [8:56] abc
- [9:08] Elevator Speech
- [9:25] Barbara Corcoran
- [10:22] How was Dustin’s experience on QVC?
- [10:40] Joy
- [10:54] Skype
- [11:32] Retail
- [11:53] Target Market, Marketing
- [12:22] A-type
- [12:41] Rachael Ray, Rohan Oza
- [13:21] Data
- [13:42] What journey did Dustin take after leaving Famous Brands?
- [13:52] Fields, TCBY
- [14:22] Networking
- [14:32] Boulder, CO
- [15:25] Return on Investment (ROI)
- [15:51] LinkedIn
- [16:48] Sampling, Event Marketing
- [17:38] Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
- [18:03] Target
- [18:32] Investor
- [18:54] Promotion, Online Business
- [19:51] Is there any connection who has surprised Dustin?
- [20:20] Alan Murray, GoodBelly, Tetra Pak
- [20:44] Advisor, Mentor
- [21:11] Naturally Boulder, COVID-19
- [22:48] When did Dustin’s wife Christina make the jump to CMO (Chief Marketing Officer)?
- [23:52] Bonds, Stocks
- [24:13] Danone
- [24:23] Family Business
- [24:48] Community Powered Marketing delivers a new world of sales growth. Learn more at Vesta-Go.com
- [25:16] How does Dustin describe what he does?
- [25:32] Professor
- [25:49] Forecasting, P&L (Profit and Loss Statement), Cash Flow
- [26:27] Advertising
- [27:00] Scenario Analysis
- [27:34] Cash Flow Positive
- [28:01] What positive story does Dustin have to share?
- [29:27] Business FOMO, Facebook
- [29:52] Job Description
- [30:48] Customer Service
- [31:01] Email
- [31:28] Connect with Dustin at the Ka-Pop! site and use code TOPKAPOP for a special discount, on Amazon, and at [email protected]
- [34:43] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [34:51] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
Get More Happy Marketer Connection
Interested in hearing more from innovative entrepreneurs? We recommend the below episodes, or access all of the Happy Marketer Connection on Apple Podcasts:
Episode 4: Tom Deierlein, Co-Founder and CEO, Thundercat Technology on “Grit”
Episode 6: Chris Pyne, Founder and President, Junction 37 on “Values”
Episode 7: David Rich, Founder, Palabra on “Storytelling”
Episode 10: Anne Candido, Co-Founder, Forthright People on “Brand Love”
Episode 11: Cathy Murphy, Co-Founder and CEO, Venus Media Group on “Balance”
Episode 12: Rachel Braun Scherl, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, SPARK Solutions for Growth on “Pioneer”
Episode 16: Lewis Schiff, Chairman of Birthing of Giants on “Entrepreneurism”
About the Happy Marketer Connection Podcast
Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection. Marketers know it’s the connections we make – between ideas, people, and brands – that make all the difference. Each week, Happy Marketer Connection invites you to connect with our Co-Founder and CEO Sue Frech, Martech pioneer, and unfailing optimist, as she and her fellow passionate marketers explore engaging and inventive marketing strategies and toast brands making impactful consumer connections.