As marketers, we work hard to bring products and campaigns to life through creative, content, media, and of course, people. But in our rush to build our company’s brand, we may forget the importance of building our own personal brand. Enter Pia Marquez, a skilled marketer who knows how to apply her skills to ensure her own brand is positioned for success. In this episode of Happy Marketer Connection, Pia, who is the Digital Marketing Senior Manager at Del Monte, shares how to get started building the one brand that you’ll be promoting your whole life – your own!
Happy Marketer Connection Episode 21
Pia Marquez, Digital Marketing Senior Manager, Del Monte
Theme “Building Your Personal Brand”
Pia, a self-described “Full Stack Marketer,” understands the power of branding and marketing, and she knows how to harness that power to champion her career journey. Hear why it’s important to develop your personal brand, the benefits of working for small and large companies, why marketers should take a page from designers by building their own websites, how to add skills at each stop of your career, cultivating mentors, and finding what you’re truly passionate about.
- [0:13] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [1:15] Pia Marquez, Digital Marketing Manager at Del Monte
- Sue Frech interviewing Pia Marquez on BUILDING YOUR PERSONAL BRAND
- [1:55] Personal Brand
- [2:04] Icebreaker: When did Pia know she wanted to work in Marketing?
- [2:52] Why is it important to build your personal brand?
- [3:07] Mission Statement
- [4:22] What inspired Pia to build her own website?
- [4:35] Tech (Technology), Designers, Developers
- [4:55] Recruiting
- [5:07] HR (Human Resources)
- [5:43] Creatives
- [5:51] Keywords
- [6:01] What is a Full-Stack Marketer?
- [6:22] Sales, Social Media, PR (Public Relations), Brand Management
- [6:38] Where did Pia learn all her marketing skills?
- [7:21] Cross-Functional
- [7:52] How should you reach out to stakeholders?
- [8:36] People Manager, Executives, C-Suite
- [9:16] Bottom Line
- [9:23] Has Pia ever had to cold call?
- [10:29] How do you develop broad skills?
- [10:40] Stretch Projects
- [10:52] Volunteering, Nonprofits, Community Management
- [11:13] Direct Messages (DMs)
- [11:41] Is Pia’s career progressing how she imagined?
- [12:49] Business School
- [13:00] GSK (GlaxoSmithKline), Kraft Heinz
- [13:14] Fortune 500, Fortune 100
- [13:24] What is the difference working for large and small companies?
- [13:32] Clorox, Startups
- [14:02] Mentor
- [14:12] Entrepreneurial
- [14:21] B2B (Business-to-Business)
- [14:42] Enterprise Company
- [15:56] Do you need to work for a large company?
- [16:17] DTC (Direct-to-Consumer)
- [16:39] Times Square Billboard
- [16:52] Conversion Marketing
- [17:00] Awareness, TV
- [17:22] How do you find a mentor?
- [17:47] MBA (Master of Business Administration), Graduate School (Grad School)
- [18:18] UNC Kenan-Flagler
- [19:25] LinkedIn
- [19:35] Community Powered Marketing delivers a new world of sales growth. Learn more at Vesta-Go.com
- [19:58] How do you start building your personal brand?
- [20:14] Research
- [21:24] How has Pia pivoted in 2020?
- [22:15] How does data help make decisions?
- [22:30] Supply Chain, eComm (eCommerce)
- [22:47] COVID-19
- [23:09] Agency
- [23:32] Consumers
- [24:00] What is the value of brand-owned online communities?
- [24:47] What positive story does Pia have to share?
- [26:25] Mental Health
- [26:32] Why did Sue start Happy Marketer Connection?
- [26:46] What are Pia’s final thoughts?
- [27:14] The Golden Rule, Customers
- [27:38] Connect with Pia at PiaMarquez.com
- [34:43] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [34:51] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
Connect with Pia through her personal website.
Get More Happy Marketer Connection
Interested in hearing more about personal career development? We recommend the below episodes, or access all of the Happy Marketer Connection episodes on Apple Podcasts:
Episode 4: Tom Deierlein, Co-Founder and CEO, Thundercat Technology on “Grit”
Episode 10: Anne Candido, Co-Founder, Forthright People on “Brand Love”
Episode 11: Cathy Murphy, Co-Founder and CEO, Venus Media Group on “Balance”
Episode 12: Rachel Braun Scherl, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, SPARK Solutions for Growth on “Pioneer”
Episode 13: Shonda Brown, Senior Associate Brand Manager, Church and Dwight on “Pivoting”
Episode 14: Max Branstetter, Founder, MaxPodcasting on “Growth”
Episode 20: Dustin Finkel, Founder of Ka-Pop! On “Relationships”
About the Happy Marketer Connection Podcast
Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection. Marketers know it’s the connections we make – between ideas, people, and brands – that make all the difference. Each week, Happy Marketer Connection invites you to connect with our Co-Founder and CEO Sue Frech, Martech pioneer, and unfailing optimist, as she and her fellow passionate marketers explore engaging and inventive marketing strategies and toast brands making impactful consumer connections.