🅴 Note: This week’s episode contains explicit language.
It takes the same amount of effort to create great work as sh#*%%y work. How to make sure that what you’re producing is good? A lot of it comes down to the relationship between the brand and the agency. And like any good relationship, that takes honesty, transparency, trust, and good communication.
Marketing Consultant Jessica Lauria knows that better than most. She is experienced on the brand- and agency-side and has produced game-changing work for brands like S’well, Chobani, Dasani, Chipotle, Mondelez, Sephora and more. On this episode of Happy Marketer Connection podcast, she shares how to ensure that special magic in the agency-brand relationship that will elevate your work and deliver winning ideas.
Hear how to build strong relationships with your agency partners, how the client-agency dynamic has changed, what to look for in a marketing agency, how to give helpful feedback, and Jessica’s lessons from both client-side and agency-side.
To listen on Apple Podcasts click here.
To listen on Spotify click here.
- [0:13] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [0:54] Jessica Lauria, Marketing Consultant
- Sue Frech interviewing Jessica Lauria on RELATIONSHIPS
- [1:50] Icebreaker: How did Jessica know she wanted to work in advertising?
- [2:08] PR (Public Relations)
- [2:48] How has the client-agency relationship changed in the past couple decades?
- [3:12] BBDO, Ogilvy, Visa, McCann Erickson, Coca-Cola
- [4:01] Content Marketing, TV Spot, Print Ad, Radio Spot, Lead Time
- [5:05] TikTok, Content Creators
- [5:32] Why is the average agency-client relationship shorter today?
- [5:52] Brief
- [6:35] Marketing Budget
- [7:08] Turnover
- [7:22] What are the pros and cons of project-based work?
- [8:48] Agency
- [8:56] Distribution, Pandemic
- [9:08] Should you work with a specialized agency or big agency?
- [9:41] Experiential Marketing
- [9:57] In-House Agency
- [10:02] Brand Design, Startup
- [10:11] Marketing Team
- [10:32] What has surprised Jessica about the marketing world in the past few years?
- [10:49] CMO (Chief Marketing Officer)
- [11:20] Marketing
- [12:25] How do you build a strong client-agency relationship?
- [13:10] Client
- [13:34] Feedback
- [15:09] What should you look for in an agency?
- [16:31] Epic Film, Out-of-Home Billboard
- [16:52] Showreel
- [17:14] Client References
- [17:45] What creates great work between clients and agencies?
- [18:05] Nike
- [18:31] What do you do if the agency isn’t passionate about a project?
- [18:46] Got Milk? Campaign, Goodby Silverstein & Partners, California Milk Processor Board
- [20:31] How do you successfully onboard a new agency?
- [20:55] Audience, Funding, Market Share
- [22:15] Community Powered Marketing delivers a new world of sales growth. Learn more at Vesta-Go.com
- [22:32] How do you have tough conversations with agencies and clients?
- [23:05] P&G (Procter & Gamble), Diageo
- [25:20] Email
- [26:14] Why shouldn’t agencies agree with the client all the time?
- [27:13] Timeline
- [28:08] Why is the client-agency dynamic like dating?
- [29:52] What positive story does Jessica have to share?
- [32:00] Prospects
- [32:19] What final thoughts does Jessica have?
- [33:00] The No “Jerk” Rule by Robert I. Sutton, PhD
- [33:19] Connect with Jessica on LinkedIn
- [34:20] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [34:29] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
About the Happy Marketer Connection Podcast
Jessica Lauria, Marketing Consultant
Jessica is a dynamic and creative global marketing leader with 20+ year experience building brands on both the agency and client side. She is driven to make work that actually makes a difference – for business, for people and for culture, and has done so for some of the world’s largest brands.
Host: Sue Frech, Founder and CEO, Vesta
Sue has spent her career redefining digital marketing in brand and retail marketing, Martech, and advertising, at brands such as Kraft and Glaxo-SmithKline. She is committed to creating fellow Happy Marketers through Vesta’s all-in-one online community building software, transforming the relationships between brands and consumers with Community Powered Marketing.