Brands need to act now, and act fast, to build direct peer-to-peer connections with their audiences. That’s the critical message Tim Hayden, CEO of Brain+Trust and an expert in data collection and protection, shared as he discussed “Privacy and Profits” on this week’s episode of Happy Marketer Connection podcast.
Happy Marketer Connection Episode 17
Tim Hayden, CEO of Brain+Trust
Theme “Privacy + Profits”
As privacy concerns – and the legislation they have inspired – continue to grow, brands need to be more transparent and thoughtful about building consumer relationships that will ensure continued profits. Tim believes that it is essential for marketers to look beyond the open rates on email and performance media analytics to truly understand their audience and ensure that they are able to remain relevant and provide them with meaningful value.
Hear how companies use your consumer data, the paradox between privacy and personalization, how you can leverage data as a business, the impact of the CCPA, and why Tim believes marketers need to move quickly to build direct consumer connections.
- [0:16] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [1:43] Tim Hayden, CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Brain+Trust
- Sue Frech interviewing Tim Hayden on PRIVACY + PROFITS
- [2:42] Icebreaker: Why is Tim so involved in volunteer work?
- [2:51] LinkedIn
- [3:20] Chamber of Commerce, Meals on Wheels
- [3:47] Nonprofits
- [4:39] Movability
- [4:48] COVID-19
- [5:00] Working From Home (WFH)
- [5:45] How did Tim become an expert on privacy and profits?
- [6:17] Digital Marketing, Experiential Marketing, Mobile Marketing
- [6:35] Email, Social Media, Data
- [6:52] Marketing
- [7:03] Big Data
- [7:20] Customer Data
- [7:29] Why does Tim embrace data protection?
- [8:35] Predictive Modeling
- [9:03] What is a CDP (Customer Data Platform)?
- [9:22] Data Lakes, Engineers, IT (Information Technology)
- [10:04] Machine Learning
- [10:18] High Cardinality, Wearables, Connected Cars, Connected Homes
- [10:38] Data Privacy
- [10:45] API (Application Programming Interface), Marketing Automation, CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- [11:27] What platform is the sneakiest in terms of collecting data?
- [11:55] Experian
- [12:03] Data Collection
- [12:35] Online Retailer
- [13:02] Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Google
- [13:42] Advertisers
- [13:58] Consumer
- [14:18] What positives have come out of data regulation?
- [16:03] eCommerce
- [16:52] Customer Experience (CX)
- [17:01] Customer Service
- [17:12] eTailer
- [17:15] What is the CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act)?
- [17:45] General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- [18:31] iOS 14, Third-Party Cookies
- [18:55] CIO (Chief Information Officer)
- [19:36] FCC (Federal Communications Commission)
- [20:22] Community powered marketing delivers a new world of sales growth. Learn more at Vesta-Go.com
- [20:46] What is Brain+Trust?
- [21:02] Technology
- [21:07] CMO (Chief Marketing Officer), Chief Communications Officer (CCO), COO (Chief Operating Officer)
- [21:41] Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- [22:05] Analytics
- [22:12] Primary Data
- [22:23] Privacy Compliance
- [22:52] Insights
- [23:33] Digital Transformation, Customer Journey
- [23:43] Consultants
- [24:24] What project is Brain+Trust and Vesta partnering on?
- [24:53] Community Management
- [25:46] Social Listening
- [26:08] Data Science
- [26:31] Customer Data Privacy
- [27:05] What is Ringer Sciences and The Next Practice?
- [27:22] Bob Pearson, Dell, Agency of Record (AOR)
- [28:22] Rocket Sauce Media Labs, Media Planning, Media Buying
- [28:34] Victory CTO
- [28:48] ChangeX, John McNeel
- [29:16] Data Governance
- [29:25] Equity, Holding Company
- [29:57] Thought Leadership
- [30:45] Future-Proof
- [30:54] What big changes should we expect in data collection?
- [31:08] Venmo, Cash App, Peer-to-Peer Payments (P2P)
- [31:28] Blockchain, Cryptocurrency
- [32:36] Digital Natives
- [33:31] Virtual Currency, Gamification
- [33:46] Twitter, Instagram
- [34:42] Open Rate
- [35:26] What positive story does Tim have to share?
- [36:24] Pandemic
- [38:01] Content
- [38:13] Remote School
- [38:26] Telecom (Telecommunications)
- [39:53] Commerce
- [40:33] Connect with Tim at Partners, NextPracticeGroup.com, and on Twitter at @YourBrainTrust, @WhatsNext_TNP, and @TheTimHayden
- [41:48] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [41:56] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
Get More Happy Marketer Connection
Check out previous episodes and subscribe on Apple Podcasts:
Episode 1: Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection with Guest Marlea Clark, CMO of Stella Rising on “Evolution”
Episode 2: Dawn Dobras, CEO of Credo Beauty on “Champion”
Episode 3: Gina Bonafede, Director of Marketing at DAS Companies on “Connection Marketing”
Episode 4: Tom Deierlein, Co-Founder and CEO, Thundercat Technology on “Grit”
Episode 5: Michele Muhammad, CMO of DSE Healthcare on “Transformational Marketing”
Episode 6: Chris Pyne, Founder and President, Junction 37 on “Values”
Episode 7: David Rich, Founder, Palabra on “Storytelling”
Episode 8: Alex Colkitt, Content and Community Strategist, Sir Kensington’s on “Engagement”
Episode 9: Alan Sutton, VP Global Sales and Operations, Jay At Play on “Heritage”
Episode 10: Anne Candido, Co-Founder, Forthright People on “Brand Love”
Episode 11: Cathy Murphy, Co-Founder and CEO, Venus Media Group on “Balance”
Episode 12: Rachel Braun Scherl, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, SPARK Solutions for Growth on “Pioneer”
Episode 13: Shonda Brown, Senior Associate Brand Manager, Church and Dwight on “Pivoting”
Episode 14: Max Branstetter, Founder, MaxPodcasting on “Growth”
Episode 15: Lindsay Stein, Today, I’m Brave on “Bravery”
Episode 16: Lewis Schiff, Chairman of Birthing of Giants on “Entrepreneurism”
About the Happy Marketer Connection Podcast
Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection. Marketers know it’s the connections we make – between ideas, people, and brands – that make all the difference. Each week, Happy Marketer Connection invites you to connect with our Co-Founder and CEO Sue Frech, Martech pioneer, and unfailing optimist, as she and her fellow passionate marketers explore engaging and inventive marketing strategies and toast brands making impactful consumer connections.