What is it that you’re especially good at that has to do with how you make money?
That’s the question that Lewis Schiff, Chairman of Birthing of Giants and Moonshots and Moneymakers, would pose to you if you were thinking about starting your own business. Lewis helps the leaders of America’s fastest-growing businesses – the founders and CEOs of Inc. 5000 companies – learn to create lasting and sustainable value. On this week’s episode of Happy Marketer Connection, he shares his vast insights into successful “Entrepreneurism,” starting with stressing that you need to be able to make money with the business idea you’re passionate about. Otherwise, it’s just a hobby.
Happy Marketer Connection Episode 16
Lewis Schiff, Chairman of Birthing of Giants and Moonshots and Moneymakers
Hear from Lewis about how to disrupt your industry, harness your passion to create a thriving business, stay inspired with your work, how his program partners with Oxford and MIT to support game-changing ideas, and why he believes entrepreneurs will be the ones to innovate our way out of our global health crisis. And don’t miss when he flips the table on our host, Sue Frech, to talk about how her mindset of never being satisfied is critical for successful entrepreneurs to embody.
- [0:16] Sue Frech, Happy Marketer Connection, Vesta
- [0:40] Lewis Schiff, Chairman of Birthing of Giants and Moonshots and Moneymakers
- Sue Frech interviewing Lewis Schiff on ENTREPRENEURISM
- [1:55] Entrepreneurism
- [2:07] Icebreaker: Why entrepreneurs?
- [3:14] What is Birthing of Giants?
- [3:34] Inc. 5000
- [4:45] Norm Brodsky, George Gendron
- [5:20] Balance Sheet
- [5:32] Private Equity (PE)
- [5:53] When was Birthing of Giants founded?
- [6:03] Inc. 500 and Inc. Magazine
- [7:50] Who should attend Birthing of Giants?
- [8:08] CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- [8:31] How does Birthing of Giants partner with MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and the University of Oxford?
- [8:39] Executive Education (Exec Ed)
- [9:14] Oxford COVID-19 Vaccine
- [9:25] Oxford R&D (Research & Development)
- [10:39] What is Harvard Business School (HBS) Professor Clayton Christensen’s Disruption Theory?
- [11:33] The Father of Silicon Valley
- [11:52] Venture Capital (VC)
- [12:08] Blockbuster, Netflix
- [12:32] Technology (Tech)
- [13:08] Who creates wealth in Silicon Valley?
- [14:06] Kraft, GSK (GlaxoSmithKline)
- [14:27] Do entrepreneurs need essential skills and mentors?
- [14:34] P&L (Profit and Loss Statement)
- [17:48] Uber, Peloton
- [17:54] How important is technology when it comes to entrepreneurship?
- [18:12] Data
- [18:34] Gross Margin
- [19:41] Community Powered Marketing delivers a new world of sales growth. Learn more at Vesta-Go.com
- [20:02] Pandemic
- [20:16] CPG (Consumer Packaged Goods), Startup
- [20:32] What companies are poised for success in a post-COVID-19 world?
- [21:38] Public Sector
- [22:31] What does the future of entrepreneurship look like?
- [24:12] Jim McCann, 1-800-FLOWERS, Social Worker
- [24:54] eCommerce
- [25:45] WIC Program (Women, Infants, and Children)
- [26:33] Zoom
- [26:40] Rider University
- [26:48] How do you become an entrepreneur?
- [28:17] Undergrads (Undergraduates)
- [28:51] Income
- [29:20] The Innovator’s Dilemma by Clayton Christensen
- [31:20] How are women-owned businesses doing during this time of disruption?
- [32:02] Profit
- [32:29] Revenue
- [33:56] How does money relate to risk?
- [35:43] University of Delaware (UDel, UD)
- [35:52] What positive story does Lewis have to share?
- [36:35] The New York Times (NYT) ventilator in one month
- [36:47] FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration)
- [37:22] Pharma (Pharmaceuticals)
- [37:42] Connect with Lewis at BirthingofGiants.com and BirthingOfGiants.com/TheFirstHabit
- [39:05] Thank you for listening! Subscribe to Happy Marketing Connection on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and more
- [39:11] Connect with Sue on LinkedIn or Twitter at @SueFrech, and Vesta-Go.com
- Theme Song: Hello (Extended Version) – Paul Werner – provided by Jamendo
Get More Happy Marketer Connection
Check out previous episodes and subscribe on Apple Podcasts:
Episode 1: Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection with Guest Marlea Clark, CMO of Stella Rising on “Evolution”
Episode 2: Dawn Dobras, CEO of Credo Beauty on “Champion”
Episode 3: Gina Bonafede, Director of Marketing at DAS Companies on “Connection Marketing”
Episode 4: Tom Deierlein, Co-Founder and CEO, Thundercat Technology on “Grit”
Episode 5: Michele Muhammad, CMO of DSE Healthcare on “Transformational Marketing”
Episode 6: Chris Pyne, Founder and President, Junction 37 on “Values”
Episode 7: David Rich, Founder, Palabra on “Storytelling”
Episode 8: Alex Colkitt, Content and Community Strategist, Sir Kensington’s on “Engagement”
Episode 9: Alan Sutton, VP Global Sales and Operations, Jay At Play on “Heritage”
Episode 10: Anne Candido, Co-Founder, Forthright People on “Brand Love”
Episode 11: Cathy Murphy, Co-Founder and CEO, Venus Media Group on “Balance”
Episode 12: Rachel Braun Scherl, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, SPARK Solutions for Growth on “Pioneer”
Episode 13: Shonda Brown, Senior Associate Brand Manager, Church and Dwight on “Pivoting”
Episode 14: Max Branstetter, Founder, MaxPodcasting on “Growth”
Episode 15: Lindsay Stein, Today, I’m Brave on “Bravery”
About the Happy Marketer Connection Podcast
Welcome to Happy Marketer Connection. Marketers know it’s the connections we make – between ideas, people, and brands – that make all the difference. Each week, Happy Marketer Connection invites you to connect with our Co-Founder and CEO Sue Frech, Martech pioneer, and unfailing optimist, as she and her fellow passionate marketers explore engaging and inventive marketing strategies and toast brands making impactful consumer connections.